EM 708 Strategic Branding

This Blog has been created as a forum for Milwaukee School of Engineering, Rader School of Business students to comment on various issues related to the subject matter of our class. The class, "Strategic Branding" is an elective class in the graduate management program. The views expressed are those of the students individually and not of the professor or the university.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Branding and Movies

We are seeing, and have been seeing brands appear in TV, movies, and film.

Another portion of the website Brand Channel allows us to review the brands that appear in movies. The site actually gives us a list and a count of the number of times a brand appears in a current film.

The section of the site is called Brand Cameo-Films. Check it out.

Enjoy.

How effective is this form of branding?

Gene A. Wright

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this type of advertising really work or is it just to build the brand reputation? For me what brand of soda the characters in a movie drink has no affect on the soda I drink. I have also noticed that some movies will cover-up the nametags on the vehicles. I probably am wierd but I still can tell what most cars are by the shape of their grill. I am an engineer so I won't buy an Aston Martin because Sean Connery drove one in Entrapment or a Firebird because of KITT (Knight Rider). I look at the features and performance I want. But I can see how a company might want to keep a brand image going by placing their car/product in a certain movie.
I can see both sides because I just said it doesn't affect my decision but I can still tell you what car was in what movie.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think branding in the movies has a huge impact on consumers. Why? Many people relate to stars and attempt to emulate them. Product placements have become so popular because they work. Take the movie “Big Fat Greek Wedding” the product placement was Windex and it was a huge success for the brand. Being able to place the product in the movie and relate it to a star is a very strong emotional appeal. Emotions are key trigger points for brand recognition.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home