EM 708 Strategic Branding

This Blog has been created as a forum for Milwaukee School of Engineering, Rader School of Business students to comment on various issues related to the subject matter of our class. The class, "Strategic Branding" is an elective class in the graduate management program. The views expressed are those of the students individually and not of the professor or the university.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

HP and Apple Co-Brand

One of the options a firm has is to co-brand, with another firm, products and services.

A relatively recent move by Apple and HP put them together as partners in the "MP3" player market. An article entitled "HP and iPod: Out of Sync" discusses the partnership and some of the reasoning.

What do you think about co-branding?

What do you think about this partnership?

How successful do you think this co-brand has been?

Gene A. Wright

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I don’t get this co-branding. From the article I get the impression that this is strictly about HP having its PCs come pre-loaded with I-Tunes, but I don’t see the relevance for the HP name to be on the IPod. PCs coming pre-loaded with third party software is nothing new nor can I recall off hand any that co-branded themselves with third party company (I may be wrong here).

Perhaps this is an attempt for HP to alter its brand to appear desirable by the younger market, especially when you consider some of the other technologies HP is offering (ie. HP Quickplay, allows users to play DVDs and MP3s without booting the pc). I am not sure if this strategy will succeed. As far I’m concerned HP does not come to mind when I think about the type of computer gear I need for my gaming and other computing needs. By the way, I currently using the MSOE issued HP/Compaq laptop….. it s—ks (being polite) and it looks like something my mother would use ( thick, chunky, not cool looking, and cannot play some of my newer games).

Basically to reach the “cool” markets that IPod resides in, HP will not only need to overcome its brand image, but that of Compaq as well.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home